FINALLY HOME!

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

West Coast Time

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

My friend Alex!

The night before Dale left for his pre-deployment training ... I got an e'mail from a good friend of mine.  She was getting in touch with me because I had mentioned that we might be stopping by to visit on our way down to FLORIDA.  When I got her e'mail I was so shocked to hear about her newest project and what is keeping her busy.  It certainly took my mind off of what I was facing with Dale leaving.

Even though it was a surprise and brief visit this summer... I am so thankful for the
30 minutes that I got to hug my friend and tell her what an amazing inspiration she is to me!
Her story WILL encourage and inspire you, too!

Have you ever had a friend who's changed your outlook on life?  Someone who makes you want to be a better person?  Alex is one of those friends for me.  She's confident, intelligent, kind, beautiful, God-centered, hilarious, honest, inspirational... I can go on & on!  I am blessed to call her MY FRIEND!

We met in South Carolina.  Our boys (my Ryan and her oldest boy Rocco) were classmates in Kindergarten.  It was a Meet and Greet night at the school and I saw Alex & her husband walk in.  It was hard to miss them... what a striking couple.   We just moved to South Carolina, so I was looking to meet some new people.    There were 3 kids in Ryan's class that he kept talking about.   Rocco, Ben and Sarah.  "Mom, they look like me" is what I recall Ryan saying.  I guess when you're new to a school - you're drawn to what you know.  Isn't it funny, they were the 4 Asian kids in the class.

Working my way to meet Alex across the classroom, I noticed her husband, Michael leave her side to talk to someone he knew.   She stood there alone for awhile, not moving... then I realized she was visually impaired.  As I introduced myself, she stuck her hand out and gave me such a firm and confident handshake.  She was excited to also meet me as Rocco had talked quite a bit about Ryan, too.  Without missing a beat - she invited us to his birthday party that weekend... and we've have been friends ever since!

Alex has Macular degeneration and told me that every year her vision gets worse.  She says she sees shapes.  I looked up a website and there were two images of what it looks like in the eyes of one who has this medical condition.

I remember going to Chuck E Cheese together and our kids were all running around having fun.  Her boys would come and go and I'd find Alex talking to them... not realizing that they had already left and she was talking to thin air.  I'd tell her, "Uh, Alex... they're long gone, girl - you can stop talking now".  She just laughed it off and said this happens all the time.

I suggested that she buy one of those ear clips so she sort of looked like all those business people talking to no one... you know the type - you're looking wondering who in the world are they talking to... then you notice their cellphone ear piece.  She laughed and thought it was a good idea.    I'm simply amazed by her strength and confidence.  Her humor and wit.  Just read her blog regarding her "project" and you'll fall in love with her, too!

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexcostanzoproject/mystory

My beautiful friend - ALEX
Here's her story and the "project" she's working on.   Thanks to her, I am a stronger person.  Hearing her latest news and knowing the mountain she is facing... makes my mountain seem like a small hill.

Before moving to Guam, I remember sitting in her kitchen, both with our newborn babies (Mia and her Guilio), "How do you do it, Alex?  I never see or hear you complain!"  She simply said, "My blessings are more than my worries.  I have too much to be thankful for!"  WOW!

I think about Alex a lot.  More than she knows.  When life gets tough I'm reminded of her and how she focuses on all that's good.   Alex is blind and now fighting breast cancer.  When I gave her a big hug in SC a month ago she must have felt my sympathy and she grabbed my arms and said, "Dot, I'm not dying... it's just my new project!  Seriously... so STRONG and so COURAGEOUS!  Such amazing strength!  Such an amazing woman!  I love everything about her... I miss her and wish I wasn't so far away at this time.   Please pray for my friend Alex... that her recovery is fast and her treatment is exact.   I hope her story will inspire you to recognize all your blessings!

In the bible, the Apostle Pauls letters in prison are so fitting to what Alex is going through, with such confidence. 

Philippians 3:12-16 (New International Version)






Pressing on Toward the Goal





 12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. 15All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. 16Only let us live up to what we have already attained.




Philippians 4:4-14 

 4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
 8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
Thanks for Their Gifts
 10I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength. 14Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment